Detect To Protect
A working smoke detector in every home.
What is a Fire Safety Visit? As Fire Administration receives your registration information, you will be scheduled according to your indicated preference of day and time and your availability at time of contact. LPFD will have our firefighters perform “Fire Safety Visits” to each of the registered addresses.
A Fire Safety Visit will include the following:
- Installation of smoke detectors, if necessary
- Replacement of smoke detector batteries, if necessary
- Advising of where you may consider placing additional smoke detectors
- Education on how and when to test smoke detectors, as well as when they should be replaced
- Education on what to do when a smoke alarm is heard going off
Where should I have smoke detectors in my home? You should install smoke alarms in every bedroom, outside each sleeping area and on every level of your home.
When to change batteries and/or test smoke detector?
- Smoke alarm batteries should be changed twice a year. An easy way to remember this is to change the batteries at the same time that you change your clocks for Daylight Savings Time.
- You should test your smoke alarms on a monthly basis.
- Smoke alarms should be completely replaced every ten (10) years.