You may claim any of the following exemptions if you choose to, but you are not required to claim them:
- You are over 70 years of age.
- You have legal custody of a child or children younger than 12 years of age and service on the jury would require leaving the child or children without adequate supervision.
- You are a student in a public or private high school.
- You are enrolled and attend an institution of higher education.
- You are an officer or an employee of the Senate, the House of Representatives, or any department, commission, board, office, or other agency in the legislative branch of state government.
- You are the primary caretaker of a person who is an invalid unable to care for himself or herself.
- You have served as a juror in this county during the 24-month period prior to the date you are required to appear for this summons.
- You have been summoned for service in this county and you have served as a petit juror in this county during the three-year period prior to the date you are required to appear for jury service.
- You are a member of the United States military forces serving on active duty and deployed to a location away from your home station and out of your county of residence.
Requesting an Exemption
If you do not meet the qualifications listed above, or would like to request an exemption, you must complete the certified statement on the Jury Summons letter you received. Email, fax or mail the completed certified statement prior to the trial date to:
Fax: (281) 842-0410
La Porte Municipal Court
3005 N 23rd Street
La Porte, TX 77571