City Secretary's Office
The mission of the City Secretary Department is to record all actions of the City Council, guarantee the authenticity and provide for the safekeeping and retrieval of all official documents, administer City elections and the City's records management program, and fulfill public information requests. The City Secretary Department supports the City's goal of public transparency. We also oversee the City's Boards and Commissions. Contact our office to arrange any ceremonial or official functions involving the Mayor or Council Members.
Description of Operations
The City Secretary is an officer of the City, appointed by and responsible to the Mayor and City Council, and is charged with attending and accurately recording the minutes of all regular and special meetings of the City Council.
The City Secretary is also custodian of all official records of the City and is the records management officer. As such, the City Secretary administers the City's records management program with procedures developed for creating and filing active records, storing inactive records, and imaging, purging, and preserving records. The City Secretary also has custodial authority for all City records and provides support to all departments and divisions in records management procedures. Additionally, when the City Secretary receives requests for public information, appropriate records are provided to requesting agencies and individuals. The City Secretary holds and maintains the City seal, affixing it to all instruments requiring such seal.
The City Secretary is the City's Public Information Officer.
The City Secretary's Office serves as a resource for citizens and a link between citizens and the City organization.
Duties & Responsibilities
• Recruiting and coordinating board and commission members
• Chief Elections Officer for the City of La Porte
• Issuing various permits and licenses
• Attesting the Mayor's signature on all official documents
• Coordinating the codification of City Ordinances into the City Code of Ordinances
• Developing and overseeing the City Council and the City Secretary's Office budget
• Maintaining board and committee meeting minutes
• Posting legal notices and agendas
• Publishing legal advertisements and notices for the City
• Recording and filing deeds and easements
• Serving as custodian of the City corporate seal
• Serving on the City's executive management team